[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Aug 22 11:36:34 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 22.08.2010, 10:55 +0100 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
> Browsing around Hackage, I notice that a seemingly random subset of
> packages are available for something called "arch linux". Presumably
> some sort of automatic conversion system is involved, but does anyone
> know why only certain packages appear?
>
> I've noticed that both Debian and OpenSUSE have a very tiny selection of
> binary Haskell packages too. I'm guessing that these packages are also
> auto-generated, but presumably selected by hand. (I also don't recall
> seeing them listed on Hackage.) Anybody know about that?

I wouldn’t call almost 200 packages¹ a „very tiny selection“ :-)

These packages are not auto-generated, but still hand-built and
hand-uploaded in every version. The Haskell Team makes selects the
packages, decides whether a version updated is required (for example
changes that only fix the buildability on win32 do not warrant an upload
to Debian) and fixes bugs. This should be a very stable base with most
important libraries to build on, without any "cabal hell".

More information can be found on http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell.

The distro listing on hackages was actually implemented by me a while
ago, the text file Ivan mentioned can be found on
http://people.debian.org/~nomeata/cabalDebianMap.txt and is generated
daily by a cron job.

Greetings,
Joachim