[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 01:50:10 EDT 2010

I used to use archlinux packages however it became a pain for the following
reasons

- packages on archlinux don't auto update when cabal does. This becomes
really annoying when package X gets updated on cabal but not on arch and
causes conflicts with other packages

- in some situations doing a general update with arch (through clyde or
packer)  breaks ghc (last time it happened packer tried to uninstall/update
arch packages which failed because those packages had dependencies. The
files got removed but since unregister failed ghc thought they still
existed)

Apart from base/required packages, unless your linux distro has proper
metapackages its in my opinion just better off using cabal install (and only
use arch packages for binaries)

On 23/08/2010 2:21 AM, "Brandon S Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu>