[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Aug 24 04:30:16 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 06:50, Mathew de Detrich <deteego at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to use archlinux packages however it became a pain for the following
> reasons
>
> - packages on archlinux don't auto update when cabal does. This becomes
> really annoying when package X gets updated on cabal but not on arch and
> causes conflicts with other packages

Yes, this can be a bit irritating indeed.  Though DonS is doing a great job
keeping Arch up-to-date it does happen that he does silly things like go on
holiday ;-)

> - in some situations doing a general update with arch (through clyde or
> packer)  breaks ghc (last time it happened packer tried to uninstall/update
> arch packages which failed because those packages had dependencies. The
> files got removed but since unregister failed ghc thought they still
> existed)

This is arguably an error in the Arch packages.  The dependencies aren't quite
as strict as they really should be.  I've taken the approach of never letting
pacman update any haskell-* package.  Instead I do a small song-and-dance
where I first remove the packages in question, and any package that depends on
them, then I re-install what I just removed.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org