[Haskell-cafe] Re: Crypto-API is stabilizing

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 20:03:11 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 10:05 -0700, Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> All,
>
> Crypto-API - a unified interface to which I hope hash and cipher
> algorithms will adhere - has recently gotten a reasonable amount of
> polish work.  I continue to welcome all comments!  A blog on its
> current interface is online [1] as are darcs repositories of the
> crypto-api package [2].  Recent changes includes added block cipher
> modes, platform-independent RNG, tests, a simplistic benchmark
> framework, and minor tweaks of the classes.  I've made experimental
> hash, block cipher and stream cipher instances.  Almost no
> optimizations have been made as of yet!
>
> Thanks to everyone for their past comments!  I have made numerous
> changes based on input received.  If you feel I didn't respond
> properly to your suggestion then please ping me again - this is purely
> a spare time effort and things do fall through the cracks.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> [1] http://tommd.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/a-haskell-api-for-cryptographic-algorithms/
> [2] http://community.haskell.org/~tommd/crypto/
>
> (If you're wondering why you're BCCed its probably because you worked
> on a crypto-related Haskell package)

I wonder - conceptually compression does not differ much from stream
ciphers - you put some data in and you get some data out.

The only real difference is that the compression does not need to have
any private key [but it can have 'public' as the level of compression
etc.].

Except naming they do not differ much (on the other hand - they do share
subsystem in Linux kernel).

Regards