[Haskell-cafe] Unicode pretty-printing

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 07:35:08 EDT 2010

On 29 August 2010 21:24, Peter Gromov <gromopetr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it's GHC 6.12.3. Character escapes are the least I want to see.

*sigh* that could be because HUnit is calling print ( = putStrLn .
show) on the String rather than putStrLn; unfortunately unless it
decides to have a special case for Strings you probably won't be able
to get around this.

One option, though, is rather than returning a String, return a
newtype wrapped around a String such that it's show instance is the
String it contains...

> As for the locale:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Unfortunately, I'm completely lame with locales and googling doesn't
> help very much to change "C" to something like UTF-8 (Mac, Snow
> Leopard). But the terminal does support UTF-8 anyway, as the output
> from my previous message shows (the main function output).

No idea about dealing with Macs, sorry.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com