[Haskell-cafe] GHC 7.0.1 developer challenges

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 02:56:29 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Ryan Ingram <ryani.spam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
> <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Do you have an alternative to suggest?  After all, the previous situation wasn't good either.
>
> I suggest that we should be able to specify RTS options at
> compile/link time, or as pragmas in the Main module.
>
>  -- ryan

What's feasible to write now, and almost better (but lacking
toolchain/library support) is writing two executables. The first takes
command line options, decides what to do based on them, and then
passes control to the second, with flags set only as appropriate.
Doing this cleanly is OS dependent, and tied to System.Process,
daemonizing-type techniques, and all that. Such a library, possibly
implemented as a nontrivial extension (or borrowing code from) the
excellent-looking hdaemonize package, would be very welcome!

Cheers,
Sterl.