[Haskell-cafe] Managing multiple installations of GHC

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 05:38:52 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Robert Clausecker <fuzxxl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I want to test the new version 7 of GHC, but don't want to replace the
> packaged version 6.12 with it.  I'm not very advanced with the internals
> of GHC and have some problems.  So these are my questions:
>
> I installed GHC into a subdir of my homedir, let's call it ~/ghc7. How
> can I install additional libs there?
>
> How can I install GHC 7 parallel to GHC 6.12 with the option to choose?
> My OS is GNU/Linux, my Distro is Ubuntu (Lucid).
>
> Thank you very much, yours Robert Clausecker

If you're doing user installations of packages with 'cabal-install' it
will take care of everything - all of the things that it installs are
in per-GHC-version directories. I do this quite a bit and I haven't
run into many hiccups yet.

Except for the haddock documentation that cabal-install installs -
different versions of GHC/haddock are pretty much always breaking each
other when I switch back and forth.

I pick which one I want by adjusting which ghc/ghci binaries are in my
path. You can also tell Cabal which GHC you'd like to use as a command
line option when installing packages.

Antoine