[Haskell-cafe] Digests

Permjacov Evgeniy permeakra at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 22:47:29 CET 2010

On 12/03/2010 11:40 AM, Serguey Zefirov wrote:
>>> All one-way hashes do block collections. This is unavoidable.
>> Why ? Is there some math behind this proposition ?
> This is hard - to add single byte into the sum with cryptographic (or
> near cryptographic) security. To quote Wikipedia again: "The avalanche
> effect is evident if, when an input is changed slightly (for example,
> flipping a single bit) the output changes significantly (e.g., half
> the output bits flip)."
This simply means, that active set of bits must be at least of the size
of final value and value to be added must be added somehow to every byte
in active set. The simplest way to do it is multiplication of vector
[active-state-bits++current-byte] and some matrix of size [resulting
bytes count|resulting bytes count + 1] (of cource, not in floating-point
math, but, for example, using modulo-256 arithmetic or even hand-coded
tables for "mul" and "sum"). This, of course, means, that byte-streaming
hashes needs some initial seed (that must be paired with resulting value
to check) and that every byte will cause much operations to perform,
resulting in poor performance. So, the conclusion is: byte-streaming
hashes are possible, but because of requirements definitly will have
poor performance, much worse then block ones. Am I correct?