[Haskell-cafe] Categorical description of systems with dependent types

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Dec 4 06:46:22 CET 2010

On 12/2/10 4:47 PM, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> Hi,
> You have it exactly right, and I don't think that there's a
> particularly deep reason to prefer the one over the other.  It seems
> that computer science people
> tend to go with the (product-function) terminology, while math people
> seem to prefer the (sum-product) version, but it is all largely a
> matter of taste.

The product=function,sum=pair terminology comes from a certain
interpretation of dependent types in set theory. I believe this
originated with Per Martin-Löf's work, though I don't have any citations
on hand.

That terminology conflicts with the standard product=pair,sum=either
terminology of functional languages, however. So folks from a functional
background tend to prefer: dependent function, dependent product, sum;
whereas folks from a set-theoretic background tend to prefer product,
sum, <no name>/union.

--
Live well,
~wren