[Haskell-cafe] the beginning of the end

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 08:33:38 CET 2010

2010/12/5 Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>

> I get Haskell. It's a programming language. You write programs with it. I get VB - even if I think it sucks. But something like Stack Overflow, I find myself just staring at it thinking "what the hell /is/ this thing?"

It's quite simple.

Level 1

- You have an unresolved programming problem. You ask the question on
stack overflow. People give you answers.
- You can (if you wish) provide answers for questions others have asked.

Level 2

To weed out bad material, answers and questions are voted up or down
(supposedly) based on their pertinence, by the users.

Level 3

Each upvote earns a user some points, and the opposite for a downvote.
Users then have a score. Answers from a user with a high score might
be more reliable.

Level 4

There is a system of badges to earn, perhaps so that one finds some
extra amusement in helping others.

Level 5

I'm out of layers here. I think this is all there is to it.

David.