[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: genprog-0.1

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:38:54 CET 2010

Hi!

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocorona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course there are smooth zones in the fitness landscape of any code. what
> is necessary is to direct the process by avoiding absurd replacements
> (mutations that goes straight to dead zones) and rules for changing from a
> smooth to another smooth area once the local maximum is not satisfactory. Or
> to detect them as early as possible (that is, rules again). That is what I
> mentioned before.

But this is not blind evolution as we know it. Of course, if you want
to speed up things you can use such techniques you are mentioning. But
this techniques use prior knowledge for this particular set of
problems. Evolution in general does not care about this. It has all
the time it needs.

>  Moreover, the genetic code has evolved to evolve.

I agree with that.

> Neither Haskell nor any conventional language has.

True. We should evolve also the language itself, not just programs.

Mitar