[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: packdeps 0.0.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Dec 8 20:02:32 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce the first release of packdeps[1]. This is a
library and executable containing the same functionality as the
original packdeps website[2], namely letting you know when your
version bounds exclude the use of the newest version of a library
available. While the website is very useful for keeping you up-to-date
on your already released packages, it does not help you during the
development phase, or for packages not released on Hackage.

The executable (packdeps) should be a good fit here. Its usage is very
simple: simply pass it a list of cabal files, and it will check each
one of them against your 00-index.tar file. (In other words, make sure
to run a cabal update before relying on its results too much.) The
library, frankly, is a mess: the naming is bad, the performance
tradeoffs were chosen for a long-running web application instead of a
short-lived console app, and it eats a baby panda each time you run
it. I'm more than happy to accept patches on this. Nonetheless, I'm
not aware of any bugs in the code, and I think it will be generally
useful in its current state.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/packdeps