[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: genprog-0.1

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:41:09 CET 2010

> Hi!
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocorona at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > assign rates of mutation for each statement,
>>
>> This could be assigned by evolution itself. If "if" will have high
>> probability of mutation then resulting programs will not survive. So
>> those probabilities can be assigned by evolution itself and be also
>> something which is passed on with generations (with again possibility
>> of mutations of those probabilities itself).
>>

> As any part in a genetic algoritm, it is a trading of flexibility for huge
> gains of speed. take into accout that some of these tricks neded a
> subtantial fraction of the age of the universe to evolve using massively
> paralell hardware (ecosystems).
>

>> What would be interesting is to have an evolution algorithm which
>> would allow such protections to evolve during its run. So some kind of
>> protection which would lower the rate of mutation for some code part.
>>
>> > Species of programs means that the seed of the genetic algoritm must not
>> be
>> > turing comoplete I guess. It must be specific for each problem.
>>
>> I do not see this as necessity. Just that those specimens which would
>> use this power too much would probably not survive. (If they would
>> remove protection for some sentences they have build before.)

The mutation weigths are something conventional for coventional languages.
 Another option is to design an automodifying evolving language from
scratch. That "software DNA"
I guess, should follow closely the techniques of the real DNA. Your idea
fits more here

In the conventional approach, the turing incomplete templates can have
pre-assigned mutation weights for each statement. These mutation rates can
evolve too.

However, nothing prevents from having an additional level for selecting the
appropriate template for each problem.