[Haskell-cafe] Rendering of <hask> in new wiki (MSIE6)

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 19:23:36 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 17:56 +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > In general I'd say that MSIE should be avoided and updated to newer
> > version like 7 or 8 (according to wikipedia they should be avaible for
> > Windows XP - or at least they were available when Windows XP was
> > supported) - IE6 have technology from 2001. I understand however that it
> > may be outside your control (maybe portable Fx would be solution?)
>
> I strongly agree that MSIE 6 should be avoided, but for many company
> networks it's required. The big problem isn't that 16% (or whatever)
> of people use it, it's that while technical people will use a modern
> and powerful browser, many non-technical managers will just use the
> default settings/systems, and it gives a bad impression if when told
> that "Haskell is a great tool" a manager looks up haskell.org and sees
> a messy splat.
>
> For reference, the new Haddock style also gives various rendering
> issues in IE6. I reported these a while back (to Mark) but never got
> any response.
>
> Thanks, Neil

I cannot speak for anyone but from what I remember supporting MSIE is
neither trivial nor fan. If you happen to use newer version of IE or
even different operating system (if I remember correctly most of Haskell
users use GNU/Linux) then you have bad luck - you have to use other
tools like virtual machines etc. - only to find out that you have not
been visited once by IE 6.

I'm not sure how many changes are going to be commited into haddock
backend/themes but once ported it would need to be maintained.

Regards