[Haskell-cafe] Iteratee-like

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:54:31 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 12/15/2010 05:48 PM, John Lato wrote:
>
>  From: Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra at gmail.com>
>>
>> current links
>>
>> https://github.com/permeakra/Rank2Iteratee
>> https://github.com/permeakra/PassiveIteratee
>>
>> The main difference from 'original' iteratees I read about is that both
>> do not use 'chunks' and pass data one-by-one. So, what I wrote may be
>> slower, but should be easier to maintain and more transparent for ghc
>> optimising facilities. I wanted as clean and simple code as possible,
>> but it is still very, very messy at some places and I want it cleaner.
>> Any suggestions? I also want to check, how good ghc does its work with
>> this messy modules. They may become interesting benchmarks.
>>

>  Have you tried comparing it to either iteratee or enumerator (which had
> mostly comparable performance last time I checked, with a slight edge to
> iteratee)?  Or to Oleg's library?  Try writing test cases, a simple
> byte-counting application, or similar, so you can compare the performance
> with the other versions.  Both enumerator and iteratee include demo programs
> that you could use as a starting point.
>
> Ok, I tested with ByteString chunks and got roughly the same performance
> (less then 5 % difference) as with Data.Iteratee (as expected, as it is not
> a monad a bottlenec when using chunks). However, with Word8' streams I slows
> down to point six times slower then lazy IO. this is still may be acceptable
> if IO actions has to be performed while making nontrivial list fusions, but
> in general it is fail.

Disappointing, but I'm not surprised.  I think getting good performance is
possible in principle, but currently there's something missing from the
implementations.  Whether work needs to be done on GHC's optimizer or the
iteratee code, I can't say.  Honestly I'm not too interested in pursuing
this myself now, but if somebody else wants to it could be fruitful.

John