[Haskell-cafe] Behaviour of System.Directory.getModificationTime

Arnaud Bailly arnaud.oqube at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 12:22:10 CET 2010

Thanks for your answers. I am a little bit surprised, I thought
timestamps were on the milliseconds scale.
@Krzysztof: Yes, you are right, an event-based interface is far
superior to the basic polling approach I took. At present, a couple
seconds granularity is fine with my use case so I don't care too much
getting more precise notifications, but I'd rather be notified by the
kernel than going through the hassle of polling it myself.

I played a bit with inotify (through a Java binding) a year ago and
found it a bit cumbersome to wield as one has to monitor explicitly
all nodes in a tree. Maybe I am wrong. Moreover, I am not aware of a
portable way of doing this.

I would appreciate pointers and advices on these matters.

Thanks again,
arnaud