[Haskell-cafe] OT: Monad co-tutorial: the Compilation Monad

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 17 12:14:18 CET 2010

On 17/12/2010 12:59 AM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> This is a little off-topic, since it isn't specifically about Haskell,
> but since Haskell is the home of the monad tutorial it isn't
> completely irrelevant.  The monad tutorial genre is well-known; it's
> often written somebody who has just learned the concept trying to
> explain it, often in highly imaginative terms (e.g. "a monad is just
> like a giant squid, with special tentacles").  I propose "monad
> co-tutorial" for attempts, often by an amateur (e.g. me) to work out
> how a monad appears in an unexpected place.

I've been off work all week due to illness, and I feel rotten. But this
paragraph gave me a much-needed giggle. Thanks for that!

Never mind monoids in the category of endofunctors. The only endofunctor
I'm looking for is the one from the category is miserable, virus-ridden
humans to the category of people who feel half human. >_<