[Haskell-cafe] Proof in Haskell

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 17:19:26 CET 2010

I think it's pretty legit. You aren't actually making a claim about the
values in the tree but I think parametricity handles that for you,
especially since you have existential types for the payload at every tree
level (so you can't go shuffling those around).

The only thing missing (and that you can't change in Haskell) is that your
statement is about Mirror (Mirror x) == x, rather than mirror (mirror x) ==
x. mirror gives you Mirror but there's currently no proof to show that it's
the only way to do it, so there's a missing step there, I think.

Anyway, for those talking about the coinductive proof, I made one in Agda:
http://hpaste.org/42516/mirrormirror

Simulating bottoms wouldn't be too hard, but I don't think the statement is
even true in the presence of bottoms, is it?

Dan