[Haskell-cafe] Haskell for Gingerbread

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Dec 28 20:27:27 CET 2010

Hi folks,

  I have been looking at developing for my Android phone which is
running Gingerbread (Android version 2.3).  The important thing about
the official development kit is this:

The new native development kit (C/C++ cross compiler for ARM) is that
the you can create android applications from pure C without using the
Dalvik/Java virtual machine at all.  The thinking behind this was
probably for game developers to be able to avoid their VM.

So all that might be needed is a Haskell compiler with a C-backend that
emits ARM-compatible code and an initially minimal android runtime.
Implementing to the new "native_activity.h" allow for the usual
application life-cycle: onStart, onPause, onResume, onStop...

Some options I have not had a chance to look into:

1) GHC arm port and -via-C
2) jhc (and lhc) generated C
3) port nhc98
4) port yhc bytecode runtime

Does anyone know who else is thinking along any of these lines?  Are
there 5th or 6th routes to take?

Cheers,
  Chris Kuklewicz