[Haskell-cafe] Anyone recommend a VPS?

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Feb 1 00:29:56 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Robert Wills <wrwills at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Webfaction.
>
> http://www.webfaction.com/services/hosting
>
> It's not a personal vps but you get ssh access and you can run any
> webserver you want-- even a Haskell one:
>
> http://wrwills.webfactional.com/2009/10/30/Haskell-on-a-Webfaction-Host
>
> They support Postgres databases too.
>
> It's cheaper than a vps (I'm paying $8.50 a month but you can pay as
> little as $5.50), but possibly not as convenient.
>
> -Rob
>
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Tom Tobin <korpios at korpios.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
> >> OK, I guess the unananimous opinion in linode ;). Thanks for the input
> >> everyone!
> >
> > If it helps make your client even more comfortable: not only do I use
> > Linode for my personal VPS, but we use them at work to host some
> > fairly popular websites.  Our sysadmin absolutely loves them to death;
> > he's always raving about how easy our hosting is now since moving
> > there.  :-)

Funny, I use a similar approach for my personal sites when I host them on
nearlyfreespeech. My one complaint is that they use FreeBSD instead of
Linux; if I found a webhost that let me compile straight from my Arch/Ubuntu
box, I'd be very happy. (I'm sure they exist, but now I'm kind of addicted
to nearlyfreespeech's cheap pricing...)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael