[Haskell-cafe] Re: programmatic DB interface?

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Feb 4 03:26:43 EST 2010

Hello Johannes,

I think you are looking for HaskellDB, you can find it on hackage. I've
been working with it myself and can absolutely recommend it.

It is actively maintained by Justin Bailey.

It's a EDSL for relational algebra which gets translated into SQL. It
can use HDBC for instance as its *driver* to databases supported by HDBC.

As with LINQ you need to put an initial effort into describing the
tables and their columns of the database first, once that is done you
can go ahead and express your queries in the EDSL, *typesafe* and
higher-orderish too.

HaskellDB was originally developed by Daan Leijen and Erik Meijer, two
of the great old ones, both very well known here in the Haskell community.

There are 2 papers describing the foundations of HaskellDB, google for

	Domain specific embedded compilers
		and
	The lambda calculus abroad (Chapter 5 of a rather large paper).

both authored by Daan Leijen and Erik Meijer.

HTH

Günther