[Haskell-cafe] functional references and HList?

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Feb 4 08:00:53 EST 2010

Hi,

from all this I'm not so sure that these two techniques do not overlap.
I mean HList tries to provide a technique for extensible Records, or
composable data structures.

So far it is possible in Haskell to extend / compose Data Structures but
not at run-time and also rather clumsily.

One could of course use tuples or rather nested pairs to compose data
structures too, which would work at run-time. But that would be very
hard to maintain.

HList implements this composability by elaborate type-level programming.

In my opinion functional references allows for this too but not through
type-level programming.

Am I wrong?

Günther