[Haskell-cafe] safe lazy IO or Iteratee?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:29:38 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

This is not an attempt to start a flame war.  I'm just trying to get a good
feel for the advantages and disadvantages of the newer safe lazy io lib
available on Hackage vs using Iteratee.

It does appear to me that using something like Itereatee gives a bit of room
to really tweak the low level enumerator/iteratee relationship, and, if you
asked my old boss, I'm just a big fan of folds too, I use them a lot in my
Erlang :-), so Iteratee really does appeal to me on many levels.

Yet at the same time, I'm quite enamored with the beauty of "interact" and
functions of that sort.  I realize mixing the effects of the lazy IO and
pure code may not be the clearest way to write code for everyone, but there
is something about being able to get linewise data as

interact (unlines . fmap someLineWiseFunction . lines)

that is just kind of cool.

Dave