[Haskell-cafe] Re: sendfile leaking descriptors on Linux?

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sat Feb 6 11:44:29 EST 2010

Bardur Arantsson wrote:

(sorry about replying-to-self)

> During yet another bout of debugging, I've added even more "I am here"
> instrumentation code to the SendFile code, and the culprit seems to be
 > threadWaitWrite.

I think I've pretty much confirmed this.

I've changed the code again. This time to:

 > sendfile :: Fd -> Fd -> Ptr Int64 -> Int64 -> IO Int64
 > sendfile out_fd in_fd poff bytes = do
 >     putStrLn "PRE-threadWaitWrite"
 >     -- threadWaitWrite out_fd
 >     -- putStrLn "AFTER threadWaitWrite"
 >     sbytes <- c_sendfile out_fd in_fd poff (fromIntegral bytes)
 >     putStrLn $ "AFTER c_sendfile; result was: " ++ (show sbytes)
 >     if sbytes <= -1
 >       then do errno <- getErrno
 >               if errno == eAGAIN
 >                 then do
 >                    threadDelay 100
 >                    sendfile out_fd in_fd poff bytes
 >                 else throwErrno "Network.Socket.SendFile.Linux"
 >      else return (fromIntegral sbytes)

That is, I removed the threadWaitWrite in favor of just adding a
"threadDelay 100" when eAGAIN is encountered.

With this code, I cannot provoke the leak.

Unfortunately this isn't really a solution -- the CPU is pegged at
~50% when I do this and it's not exactly elegant to have a hardcoded
100 ms delay in there. :)

I'm hoping that someone who understands the internals of GHC can chime
in here with some kind of explanation as to if/why/how threadWaitWrite can
fail in this way.

Anyone?

Cheers,