[Haskell-cafe] Using Cabal during development

Limestraël limestrael at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:48:21 EST 2010

Cabal/cabal-install are good tools for distribution and installation, but I
was wondering -- as I was starting to learn how to use Cabal -- how do
usually Haskell developpers build their softwares (and especially medium or
big libraries) while they are still developping them ?
With cabal-install, by doing one 'cabal configure' once and 'cabal build'
each time they have altered their code ?
With only Cabal, through some 'runhaskell Setup.hs build's ?

The point is that I am currently writing a binding for an SDL-like library
called SFML. My project is now 55-file wide (and I will have to add some
more), uses hsc2hs and has a little executable (for testing purposes) in
which I add some code each time I add functionnalities to my binding. What I
mean is that it would be a pain to have to compile it by hand whenever I add
something to my code. Currently, I compile it by using a simple shell
script, but it's a little bit lousy, I think.