[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 78, Issue 14

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Thu Feb 11 11:00:09 EST 2010

Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 16:41 +0000, John Lato wrote:
>>
>> See http://inmachina.net/~jwlato/haskell/ParsecIteratee.hs for a valid
>> Stream instance using iteratee.  Also Gregory Collins recently posted
>> an iteratee wrapper for Attoparsec to haskell-cafe.  To my knowledge
>> these are not yet in any packages, but hackage is vast.
>
> Hmm. Am I correct that his implementation caches everything?

The one that John posted (iteratees on top of parsec) has to keep a copy
of the entire input, because parsec wants to be able to do arbitrary
backtracking on the stream.

Attoparsec provides an *incremental* parser. You feed it bite-sized
chunks of an input stream, and it either says "ok, I'm done, here's your
value, and the rest of the stream I didn't use" or "I couldn't finish,
here's a parser continuation you can feed more chunks to." This, of
course, is a perfect conceptual match for iteratees -- with a little bit
of plumbing you should be able to parse a stream in O(1) space.

> I tried to rewrite the implementation using... well imperative linked
> list. For trivial benchmark it have large improvement (althought it may
> be due to error in test such as using ByteString) and, I believe, that
> it allows to free memory before finish.
>
> Results of test on Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz:
> 10:	0.000455s	0.000181s
> 100:	0.000669s	0.001104s
> 1000:	0.005209s	0.023704s
> 10000:	0.053292s	1.423443s
> 100000:	0.508093s	132.208597s

Which column corresponds to which module here, and which module are you
benchmarking against, John's or mine?

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>