[Haskell-cafe] Re: How many "Haskell Engineer I/II/III"s are there?

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Feb 11 13:09:24 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:57:48PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> John Van Enk schrieb:
> > I need to be able to swap out the RTS. The place I want to stick Haskell
> > absolutely needs its own custom RTS, and currently, I don't think it's
> > all that easy or clean to do that.
> >
> > Am I wrong? Are there resources describing how to do this already?
>
> As far as I know JHC is intended to work without an RTS.

It is more that the RTS is generated as a part of the normal code
generation process, this is done by implementing as much as possible in
haskell itself, jhc has a very rich set of unboxed primitives, making it
as expressible as c-- for the most part, for the bits of C I do need, I
try to make them conditionally compilable, so parts that arn't used will
not be included. all in all, the overhead is ~= 1k or so. A side effect
is that jhc is very lightly coupled to any particular RTS, so
experimenting with alternate ones is pretty straigtforward.

        John