[Haskell-cafe] Computer Camp for kids 13 - 15 years old in Colorado featuring Functional Reactive Programming

John Peterson jpeterson at western.edu
Thu Feb 11 23:51:55 EST 2010

Western State College in Colorado has a computer camp for kids aged 13 - 15.  Although we don't use Haskell (it's Python on the inside) the underlying engine is Functional Reactive Programming.  We use a 3-D game engine to explore more than just programming - we cover a lot of math and physics.  We have a very unique camp - every day includes 3 - 4 hours of recreation in the area: rafting, rock climbing, kayaking, mountain biking.

Our website is at http://western.edu/academics/computerscience/computer-camp.html

The camp is the last week of June.  See the website for further details.

We're trying to get the software in releasable form - should be ready to go in a few months.

This is the fourth year of our camp and FRP has been an ideal way to introduce novices to computing.

    John

(PS - all recreational activities at our camp are approved by Simon PJ - http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Simon_Has_Fun)