[Haskell-cafe] What is the meaning of tilde ("~") symbol

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 14 08:39:03 EST 2010

MightyByte wrote:
> I like that idea.  When I was first learning Haskell, I remember
> spending a non-trivial amount of time trying to figure out what '$'
> did.  I incorrectly assumed that it was provided by some library.

Technically, it is...

Every now and then somebody asks about "@" too.

> These types of things can be pretty hard to google.

Well yes, there is that too... ;-)

Of course, the next question is if we're going to do this, how to we
make it so that all the newbies stumble across this page without having
to spend 25 years tracking it down? A wiki page isn't much good if
nobody finds it...