[Haskell-cafe] on finding abstractions ...

Artyom Shalkhakov artyom.shalkhakov at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 23:23:33 EST 2010

Hello,

2010/2/14, Günther Schmidt <gue.schmidt at web.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a problem, in short my haskell code sucks. While it does work
> and I do manage to use higher-orderish aspects quite extensively to make
> my code more concise it still is nowhere abstract, always concrete and
> thus always with lots of boilerplate.
>
> Oh I have gotten better compared to when I started but on the
> abstraction slope I'm still stuck.
>
> So fellows, what is the next stop on my road to enlightenment? I really
> think I need best to start from scratch. I think I'm sufficiently
> familiar now with most of Haskell's technicalities but how do I climb
> the ladder of abstraction?

It's actually okay: you come up with abstractions as a result of
abstracting things out, :) not the other way round.

I'd advise you to read "How To Design Programs". Unrelated to Haskell,
it shows a bunch of nice examples of abstraction, including the steps
required to get there, with motivation and justifications. The books
is aimed at beginners in programming, but don't let that discourage
you: it has good ideas to share.

Cheers,
Artyom Shalkhakov