[Haskell-cafe] Category Theory woes

Nick Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Wed Feb 17 22:27:31 EST 2010

I haven't seen anybody mentioning «Joy of Cats» by  Adámek, Herrlich &
Strecker:

It is available online, and is very well-equipped with thorough
explanations, examples, exercises & funny illustrations, I would say
best of university lecture style: http://katmat.math.uni-bremen.de/acc/.
(Actually, the name of the book is a joke on the set theorists' book
in my parents' bookshelf... ;-))

Another alternative: Personally, I had difficulties with the somewhat
arbitrary terminology, at times a hindrance to intuitive understanding -
and found intuitive access by programming examples, and the book was
«Computational Category Theory» by Rydeheart & Burstall, also now
available online at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~david/categories/book/,
done with the functional language ML. Later I translated parts of it to
Haskell which was great fun, and the books content is more beginner
level than any other book I've seen yet.

The is also a programming language project dedicated to category theory,
«Charity», at the university of Calgary:
http://pll.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/charity1/www/home.html.

Any volunteers in doing a RENAME REFACTORING of category theory together
with me?? ;-))

Cheers,

   Nick