[Haskell-cafe] Profiling

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sun Feb 21 13:30:34 EST 2010

Am Sonntag 21 Februar 2010 18:22:07 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
> Patai Gergely wrote:
> >> I tried to compile my program with -prof, but GHC just whines at me
> >> that the packages I'm using haven't been compiled for profiling. Do I
> >> really need to go recompile every single package I'm using with
> >> profiling support before I can profile my program? How do I tell
> >> Cabal to install the necessary code? (I really hope this doesn't
> >> involve uninstalling and reinstalling everything...)
> >
> > Almost. You don't need to uninstall anything, just run cabal install
> > <package> --reinstall -p for every relevant package.
>
> Oh, right. So I actually need cabal.exe to do this then?

No, you can also

$ ./runghc ./Setup.[l]hs configure --enable-library-profiling --user --
prefix=$HOME/.cabal
$ ./runghc ./Setup.[l]hs build
$ ./runghc ./Setup.[l]hs haddock --hyperlink-source
$ ./runghc ./Setup.[l]hs install

It's just more typing [protip: create a batch file (that is the Windows
analogue of a shell-script, isn't it?)].