[Haskell-cafe] Re: [wxhaskell-users] Building/installing OS X application bundles for GUIs - cabal-macosx

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 10:12:27 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:54:51 +0000, Andy Gimblett wrote:
> That raises the question: what is the right place?  It seems to me
> that the defaults are not the right defaults for this case.  --global
> should probably go to /Applications, and --user should perhaps go to ~/
> Applications (though I'm less sure about that).  Of course, end-users
> can explicitly set this on a per-install basis, but it seems that for
> bundles we'd want to override the default.

Just to give some background to this:

I won't claim this is the right place, but the GenI setup script
(distant/fond ancestor of cabal-macosx) copies the app bundle to
wherever Cabal normally wants to put binaries, and then dumps out a
shell script for people who still want a command line interface to their
GUI app.

So you get

  ~/.cabal/bin/geni.app # application bundle
  ~/.cabal/bin/geni # shell script that calls geni.app/Contents/MacOS/geni

Again, not sure if that's the right thing to do, but it works for setups
where you still expect cabal install GenI to work the same way as, say
cabal install darcs, would.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9