[Haskell-cafe] Real-time garbage collection for Haskell

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 19:04:37 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Pavel Perikov <perikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you really seen 100ms pauses?! I never did extensive research on this but my numbers are rather in microseconds range (below 1ms). What causes such a long garbage collection? Lots of allocated and long-living objects?

This is all hypothetical right now.  I heard some horror stories in
which people had to switch to the main game loop in C++ and only do
the AI logic in Haskell because of pauses.  I would rather not do
that, especially because this project is *about* proving Haskell as a
viable game development platform.  So I am trying to be prepared if I
do see something like that, so that it doesn't put the show on hold
for a few months.

Presumably large, long-living objects would cause the generation 0
collections to take a long time.  I am not sure if we will have any
said objects, but we can't rule it out...

Thanks for the positive reassurances, at least.  I'd like to hear from
people with the opposite experience, if there are any.

Luke