[Haskell-cafe] A question on DSL's

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:16:04 EST 2010

One argument for option 2 is to carry forward datatypes to the target
language.  For example, if you want to describe a state machine with
the state as a type:

data StopLightState = Red | Yellow | Green

With option 1, values of type StopLightState will be resolved at
compile-time, not run-time.  (yes, there's tricks to get around this,
but they're ugly)

I experimented briefly with option 2 using YHC, but quickly threw in
the cards for option 1.

It would be nice if GHC's internals were more accessible for this type of work.