[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANN: Streaming Component Combinators 0.4

Mario Blažević mblazevic at stilo.com
Fri Jan 15 09:26:33 EST 2010

Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Mario Blažević schrieb:
>> Version 0.4 of Streaming Component Combinators, or SCC for short, has
>> been released on Hackage. Get it at
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/scc
>>
>>     There isn't much new high-level functionality compared to the
>> previous version, but the implementation has been heavily refactored and
>> the foundations completely replaced.
>
> Stupid question: Is it related to Arrows?

	Not really. You might say it's more general than arrows, because the
streaming components are not restricted to a single input and single
output type. On the other hand, they are all specific to stream
processing, much like Fudgets and Yampa which are arrow-based.

	I suppose the Transducer data type [1] could be made an Arrow instance,
which would let me rename the 'connect' combinator [2] to (>>>). I'll
have a look at Yampa to see if I can harvest more combinator names,
thank you!

[1]
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/scc/0.4/doc/html/Control-Concurrent-SCC-Types.html#t%3ATransducer
[2]