[Haskell-cafe] Installing "encoding" package from Hackage

Krzysztof Skrzętnicki gtener at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 12:11:18 EST 2010

I was able to build encoding-0.6.2. My steps:

(0. Update package list with 'cabal update')
1. Unpack package with 'cabal unpack encoding'
2. Edit encoding.cabal. We need to add HaXml as dependency. It should
be added to 'Build-Depends' field. I've added below "HaXml == 1.20.2"
because 1.20.2. is the latest version available at the time of
writing.

Library
  if flag(splitBase)
    if flag(newGHC)
      Build-Depends:	bytestring, base >= 3 && < 5, binary, mtl,
containers, extensible-exceptions, array, template-haskell,
regex-compat, ghc-prim, ghc >= 6.10, HaXml == 1.20.2
    else
      Build-Depends:	bytestring, base >= 3 && < 5, binary, mtl,
containers, extensible-exceptions, array, template-haskell,
regex-compat, ghc < 6.10, HaXml == 1.20.2
  else
    Build-Depends:	base < 3, binary, extensible-exceptions, template-haskell

3. Instal with "cabal install" run in the directory next to encoding.cabal.

It looks like package maintainer forgot to specify this dependency.

Best regards

Krzysztof Skrzętnicki