[Haskell-cafe] big problems with MS Access backends

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Fri Jan 29 05:50:25 EST 2010

> From: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Günther Schmidt
>
> I need to use MS Access as a DB-backend. To make it not too
> easy there
> are tables with Umlaut Strings in some of the columns.
>
> And Takusen crashes outright.

Can you try Takusen from the darcs repo? It was at darcs.haskell.org, but now Ian's temporarily moved all the non-ghc projects to http://old-darcs.well-typed.com/, and I haven't found the time to move it to code.haskell.org.

I tested with Access and made a bunch of changes to the ODBC driver. It works for me :-)

The ODBC tests all pass with Access. Could you run them and see how you get on? To build and run the tests:

You probably need to edit the cabal file and comment out modules in the Other-modules: section for the backends that you don't have, and edit the imports and backendTests function in Main.hs.

To build the tests you say:
  setup configure -fbuildtests
  setup build

You will find takusen_tests.exe under dist\build\takusen_tests. Run with this command line:
  takusen_tests odbc noperf DSN=takusen "" ""

(noperf just means "don't run the performance tests, just the functional tests")

This assumes you have created an ODBC DSN called takusen, which points to an Access database.

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is