[Haskell-cafe] Linguistic hair-splitting

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Sat Jan 30 02:33:50 EST 2010

I don't like this bias toward singling out Monad among all of the type
classes, thereby perpetuating the misleading mystique surrounding Monad.  If
you're going to call [3,5,8] "a monadic value", then please give equal time
to other type classes by also calling [3,5,8] "a functorial value"
("functorific"?), "an applicative value", "a monoidal value", "a foldable
value" ("foldalicious"?), "a traversable value", "a numeric value" (see the
applicative-numbers package), etc.  Similarly when referring to values of
other types that happen to be monads as well as other type classes.

   - Conal