[Haskell-cafe] Are you a Haskell expert? [How easy is it to hire Haskell programmers]

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 08:04:48 EDT 2010

Yves Parès <limestrael at gmail.com> writes:

> And conversely, someone who have made a C-to-Haskell binding may not be a
> Haskell guru.
>
> What about Arrows: do you think one should master them so that he could be
> regarded as experienced?
> It's kind of hard to put a border between casual Haskell and skilled
> Haskell, since it's a very wide language and your knowledge will depend on
> what you have already done.

Exactly; until I need to know something I typically don't bother really
studying and learning it (e.g. iteratees: they sound cool, and I've read
through the TMR paper on it, etc. but I still don't "grok" and
understand them fully).

As an example: until I took over graphviz, I didn't really understand
combinator parsing.  Now I feel I know how polyparse works fairly well,
but I still have no idea how to use Parsec (either series), partially
because of how complex it is compared to polyparse.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com