[Haskell-cafe] music-related problem

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Jul 4 17:21:26 EDT 2010

erik flister wrote:
> ties are a presentation-level issue, the underlying (sound)
> representation is a single note.  i suggest
>
> Doc = [Note]
>
> where Notes have fields for their measure location and duration.  then
> there's no issue with overlapping notes, and start/end times are easy to
> calculate.  ties can be calculated easily later for graphical layout by
> asking if durations overlap given boundaries (usually measure
> boundaries, but also measure centers).

Hi erik,
I will look at your EDSL. However, I am dealing with ties because I am
converting a MusicXML document into a more natural form for my purposes.
The initial form of the document will have tied notes (as it comes that way
from MusicXML), and I want to convert that into a form that makes it
possible to ignore ties and see notes as having a single duration.

Thanks,
Mike