[Haskell-cafe] Comments on Haskell 2010 Report

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Fri Jul 9 10:23:55 EDT 2010

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:07:06 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't think I've ever seen them *followed* by commas.  Preceded, always.

In American English, they're always followed by commas, and preceded by
comma, semicolon, dash or left parenthesis, depending on the specific
context.

Examples from various online style guides:

    I am the big cheese, i.e., the boss.

    The department is unattached; i.e., it is not administered by one of
    the schools or colleges.

    Most committee members—-i.e., those who were willing to speak
    out-—wanted to reject the plan.

    Most committee members (i.e., those who were willing to speak
    out) wanted to reject the plan.

See also: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-use-ie-and-eg

-Steve