[Haskell-cafe] Comments on Haskell 2010 Report

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Fri Jul 9 11:14:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 16:23, Steve Schafer wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:07:06 -0400, brandon s. allbery wrote:
> > I don't think I've ever seen them *followed* by commas.  Preceded,
> always.
>
> In American English, they're always followed by commas, and preceded by
> comma, semicolon, dash or left parenthesis, depending on the specific
> context.

One of the "nice" things about English is that there is often never an
"always." See http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ie-eg-oh-my.aspx for a
discussion. (For me personally, I prefer to minimize the juxtapositions of
punctuation (e.g. . and ,). As long as there's not an editor looking over my
shoulder telling me it's not acceptable, I will continue to do so.)

As for future editions of the Haskell Report, one possibility to eliminate
concerns about spelling and grammar would be to decide to follow a certain
dialect and style. This would reduce the number of comma-related comments.

Sean