[Haskell-cafe] Re: Finding zipper for custom tree

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Jul 16 05:18:25 EDT 2010

Sergey Mironov wrote:

> Sorry for late answer. Luke, Heinrich - thank you very much for explanations.
> I feel that I need more reading to get familiar with differentiation
> of functors and chain rule. Could you suggest some books or papers?

For differentiation of data types, there is for example

   Conor McBride
   The Derivative of a Regular Type is its Type of One-Hole Contexts.
   http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.22.8611

but I'm not sure whether it's easier to understand than the wikibook.

For more on using functors to model algebraic data types, see also

   R Backhouse, P Jansson, J Jeuring, L Meertens
   Generic Programming - An Introduction -
   http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~patrikj/poly/afp98/

A corresponding chapter in the wikibook ("Datatype algebra") has not
been written, so far.

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--