[Haskell-cafe] Hackage survey

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 09:01:31 EDT 2010

I'd like to request some clarification of some of the questions:

1. By "all projects", are you including one-use only scripts?  How about
   university assessments (when it isn't Haskell-oriented, just have to
   write a program to do some simulation or something) and thus it isn't
   meant to be something used by other people or used after a certain
   date, etc.?

3. I use cabal-install only in testing my own packages (as it's easier
   to do "cabal foo" than "runhaskell Setup.hs foo").  I also use
   cabal-install to test which packages I have installed have newer
   versions available (cabal update && cabal upgrade --dry-run) so that
   I can update the Gentoo packages for them.  As such, which option
   should I choose from the ones offered (as none of them match my
   case)?  Should the question be clarified and be  made more explicit?

9. I wouldn't classify Hackage as a "tool", but even still, what happens
   if we think Hackage is very important but still should be replaced?
   (Playing devil's advocate here: I think it could do with some
   upgrades but there's no need to completely throw out what's already
   there).