[Haskell-cafe] On documentation

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 22 13:59:07 EDT 2010

Alexander Solla wrote:

> After all, the source is always structured in more-or-less the same
> way.  Fragments of text with opaque -- unless/until you understand
> them -- combinators "join" two distinct concepts/types into functions.
>  A chain of functions (potentially at various levels of abstraction)
> is a computation.  You "use" these things by finding a chain of types
> (Start -> A), (A -> B), (B -> C), ... (N -> Goal) and composing,
> filling in additional details as necessary.  Building that chain means
> doing depth first searches on a tree/graph of possibilities, and
> usually isn't so much fun.  The library developer is in the best
> position to do exactly that, having already done it while constructing
> the library.

In Haskell even learning to use a library has an algebraic structure. ;^)

Actually, I was thinking just this afternoon... If you're writing in an
OO language, you can use UML to produce diagrams that give you a kind of
at-a-glance overview of the saliant parts of something. (Depending on
how much detail you choose to include in the diagram.) I wander if
anybody has a standardised notation that might be applicable to FP in
general or Haskell specifically...