[Haskell-cafe] Re: Lists and monads

Kevin Jardine kevinjardine at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 09:13:08 EDT 2010

On Jul 26, 3:00 pm, Vo Minh Thu <not... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, just like with IO, maybe restructuring the code to separate
> monadic code would help.

The specific monad I am dealing with carries state around inside it.

I could revert to a pure system in many cases by simply passing the
state as a parameter but then that defeats the point of the monad and
clutters up my function calls.

Also, in other cases, I am using a module that defines its own monads
and have no choice but to use them.

I think I would prefer a style of programming where monads are equal
citizens to pure function calls. There are various hints that such a
style of programming is possible but as I say, I have not found any
clear tutorials on it.