[Haskell-cafe] new Cabal user question -- installing to Haskell Platform on Windows network drive?

Peter Schmitz ps.haskell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 17:06:47 EDT 2010

I have recently installed the Haskell Platform (for the first time) to a MS
Windows network drive; e.g.:

H:\aaa\bbb\Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\

I did so without admin privs.

It has ghc-6.12.1

I need to not install to C:.

I would like to install and use Gtk2Hs and Glade on the Platform also.

I have used Gtk2Hs and Glade in Haskell (with just ghc, not the Platform),
but I have never used Cabal or the Haskell Platform.

I see at http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/ that Gtk2Hs now comes in a Cabal
package ("Gtk2Hs 0.11.0 released").

The info there says you can just install "the Gtk+ libraries", and then do:
cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
cabal install gtk

I interpret "the Gtk+ libraries" to mean "gtk: the base GUI library" package
listed at
http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/download/
(is that correct?).

That is a link to http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gtk
which has "gtk-0.11.0.tar.gz (Cabal source package)",
which I downloaded and unpacked to a temp directory which now contains
"gtk-0.11.0".

I've reviewed the Cabal documentation (that came with the Platform) and I'm
having a little trouble determining exactly what to do next -- the exact
commands to use for my non-C: / network drive installation. (I have not used
Cabal before.)

I would prefer to do this without admin privs, if possible.

** If anyone could help me out here with a step-by-step, I would appreciate
it.

Hopefully the procedure for glade will then be similar.

Thanks (very much) in advance.
-- Peter Schmitz