[Haskell-cafe] Actors and message-passing a la Erlang

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:13:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Stefan Schmidt <
stefanschmidt42 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yves,
>

>> You say that "With the help of this library it is possible to build
>> Erlang-Style mailboxes", but how would you solve the issue of static typing?
>>

> this wasn't an issue for me because I wanted as much type checking as
> possible. In many implementations, you have an implicit contract between the
> sender and the receiver process. In this case, the contract is explicit and
> the compiler can tell me if I'm trying to send or receive "wrong" data.

I've found that I like Erlang's pattern matching for sorting through
different kinds of data payloads, but that I prefer to use typed data
channels per Limbo, Go, Plan 9's thread and messaging libraries etc.  I've
often wanted an Erlang with static typing to get this capability.