[Haskell-cafe] Error Monad and strings

Dietrich Epp depp at zdome.net
Tue Jul 27 19:29:54 EDT 2010

I'll say yes, a pattern match failure is a bug.  This is one of the
great debates in the language: whether all pattern matching code
should be guaranteed complete at compile time or not.  However, any
function you call which returns a result in your monad could
theoretically call "fail" if it was written that way.  Data.Map.lookup
used to call "fail" when it could not find a key, but that got changed.

If you don't want to catch these errors in your monad, you can write
your own monad (or monad transformer).  For example:

newtype ErrorCode = ErrorCode Int deriving Show
newtype ErrorCodeT m a = ErrorCodeT { runErrorCodeT :: m (Either
ErrorCode a) }
instance Monad m => Monad (ErrorCodeT m) where
     return = ErrorCodeT . return . Right
     a >>= b = ErrorCodeT $ do
         m <- runErrorCodeT a
         case m of
             Left err -> return $ Left err
             Right x -> runErrorCodeT $ b x
     fail = ErrorCodeT . fail
failWithCode :: Monad m => Int -> ErrorCodeT m a
failWithCode = ErrorCodeT . return . Left . ErrorCode

There's probabaly a library somewhere which does this already.